View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
N/A

10 yr Member
N/A

10 yr Member
Default TOS from a patient and a surgeons point of view

I have neurogenic type of tos and has been living with it since early 20s. I first felt the pain and the subsequent numbness and tingling in my left arm after a minor car accident. I thought at first it was just minor bruising and soreness related to the accident. As time went on these symptoms only worsened. I was seen over the period of few months by neurologist, orth, and neurosurgeons. All tests including MRI and EMGs were negative. I was told that all these may be in my head.

With much frustration and anger. I researched extensively on the topic. I think the most important thing for me is to resist the use of narcotics for pain control. Physical therapy and relaxation therapy helped me greatly, I also took on yoga for a few years that helped me to maintain good posture and strengthen my shoulder girdle. I am currently doing very well with minimal symptoms. only time I get some level of symptoms is when I spent all day in the operating room. As a vascular surgeon that treats TOS. I believe the field is full of controversies and may be even fraud, even amongst vascular surgeons.

I believe that the best way to approach treatment is through a multispecialized approach. As a surgeon I make money doing TOS surgery ( which everyone has to keep that in mind, that there is secondary gains there for the surgeons) but as a patient that is essentially cured by physical therapy I believe that physical therapy is perhaps the most important part of the equation. I would be very happy to answer any questions you all may have. hopefully, i can provide you all with some level of comfort and reassurance.
shengggmd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
boytos (11-15-2012), bunz50 (11-14-2012), Coop42 (11-14-2012), jkl626 (11-14-2012), mspennyloafer (11-15-2012), NerPain4 (11-17-2012), nospam (11-14-2012), Thankful for Hope (12-08-2012), tic2 (11-15-2012), Woodstock3 (11-17-2012)