View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sara,

I can completely understand what you are going thru. As my signature line briefly explains, I had a concussion in the summer of 2009, wrenched my neck forward quite forcefully trying to do flips into a swimming pool and did some damage along the neck muscles. December of 2009 I had major surgery and was put under with general anesthesia.

It was about 6 weeks after surgery that my head starting to feel dizzy, and I was having big time loss of cognitive ability, and the headaches. They were fierce, and usually worsened by physical activity.

A couple of neurologists later I was eventually brought on Nortriptyline (100mg) to help calm me down as I was out right frantic as my original concussion symptoms were very short lived, about a week. I was scared and couldn't get an answer to what was going on.

My current neurologist said I basically have a sensitive brain and with both the concussion and later anesthesia on top of a concussed brain, it was too much for my brain.

Now, almost 3 years later, I've improved much. Huge compared to that point in time, however, I'm still left with lingering things like exertional migraines which I manage with doing what exercise I can and remaining below my known threshold which causes headaches.

Sounds like the Amytriptyline is a good med but when I started at 20mg it didn't help. It wasn't till they found the the amount which started to both calm me and keep headaches absent. They are planning to lower the dose soon. I'm 48 YO male, average weight.

Find quiet when you can, learn to meditate, sounds crazy but it teaches the brain to focus on nothing, which is what a brain needs, quiet. Tell your hubby that this is a real injury, and search youTube for the videos titled:

"You Look Great!" : Inside a TBI

Have him watch them.

Yes, get on a healthy nutrition and vitamin plan, the brain needs all the help it can get during this rough time.

FYI - I'm now able to function well enought for work, well enough to now drive on the freeway during rush hour and take difficult courses online.

As my first neurologist told me, "your brain is rebooting and it's going to take time."

December 15, 2009: Major surgery due to diverticulitis. 6 weeks after surgery, dizziness, fog, cognitive difficulty, anxiety, some panic, lots of headache. These symptoms largely gone, but still cannot exercise above a very low threshold otherwise resulting in severe headache and cognitive fog. Same for overwhelming odors.

Meds: Nortriptyline and Naratriptan as needed to rid severe headaches (exertional migraines).
PCS Mikey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-15-2012)