View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Sarah,

Here's my story. In June of 2010 I was on vacation surfing with my kids at a beach in North Carolina and rode a wave into the shore and ended up smacking my nose on my son's surf board. I was 49 at the time, I knew it hurt and was a little dizzy but did not lose consciousness. I was more concerned about getting to a plastic surgeon to stitch up my face! I figured being a middled aged gal I could use the help!
I didn't realize I had a concussion for several days and actually got bad advice from my family doc that I didn't have a concussion because I didn't lose consciousness! (Unbelievable). I ended up taking a week off work then going back to work in a semi-dazed state and actually took 4 cross country business trips. This ended up making me very, very sick. I finally found a good neurologist, was diagnosed with PCS, started a course of steriods and Amptriptylin (eventually 60 mg) and took 6 weeks off work. I should have taken more time off. I continue to improve-two steps forward one step back.
Yes, for me PCS has been life altering and it took me a long time to wrap my head around that. Now I work on a reduced schedule, limit the lights and noise etc. But there are many improvements. For the first year I couldn't go to movies without intense pain, now I can. I can now use the computer for longer and watch tv. I still have a very hard time with noisy resturants and I can't go listen to music. I remind myself that what I have is not fatal. I've had friends with breast cancer etc.
I know it is hard to put yourself first when the kids needs are so real, but see if you can set some limits that will speed your recovery. I need to run now, but I am happy to keep the dialog going.
All my best
Concussed lawyer
concussedlawyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-15-2012)