View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sara,

I believe one of the worst things someone with PCS can do is try to compare themselves with others or try to collect time lines of others recovery. As the saying goes, If you have seen one brain injury, you have seen ONE brain injury. Every brain injury is different.

The only things that are the same are the needs for proper nutrition, quiet rest, and avoiding stress and over-stimulation. Recovery may take 6 weeks, 6 months or 3 years with what appears to be the exact same brain injury.

Anxiety and stress are the worst things for brain recovery. You have not yet replied with your daily activity regimen. You may be doing too much.

Women often struggle to recover because they have so many social contacts they are trying to maintain and other duties and activities they feel they must complete. The quiet rest is the most important issue to consider. Plus, there is no way to look at recovery from a day to day perspective. Recovery is better looked at as week to week trends. It is important to look back at activities the days before a bad day. One might get busy because they are having a good day and then the next day, they wake up a zombie. Relapse is almost always delayed by a day or so.

Are you consuming caffeine, alcohol, MSG, diet sweeteners, ,etc? Taking any other stimulants like energy drinks, etc. These are all small parts of the big picture.

And like I asked previously, what is your daily activity list like?

We can help you with sound advice. Comparing yourself to others recovery is not sound.

PCS Mikey took 3 years to recover to a functional level. I have never recovered the critical functions to live a normal life even after 12 years. My case may be extreme but I have learned tons over the past 40 years as I built up a history of head impacts. I can chart the recover from each and the functions that returned to less than full levels after each head injury.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rmschaver (11-15-2012), Theta Z (11-15-2012)