View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Yeah. I've been reading up on this myself. I conclude that I can do it myself and plan to tackle it just as soon as I get over my DIY brain surgery.

But seriously, this is something that strongly invokes the ostrich effect and can be devastating, not only to ourselves but to our families as well. What a terrible end to our battles if our exhausted caregivers face foreclosure because of our final medical bills. Some things that I have learned so far-
1) If you go into a nursing home the government won't pay if you have transferred property in the last few years (five, I think). They saw this one coming.
2) Say you have medical insurance and feel protected? So did approximately three-fourths of the people who filed for bankruptcy last year. Lost their family home because they didn't realize just how big a co-pay can get. Face it, for most of us once you get beyond four digits (as in $ 9,999) it becomes academic. And they paid those premiums all those years.
3) Things have changed. Twenty years ago hospitals and doctors seldom chased widows and orphans for the balance due. Now the world is full of predators and has no heart. They will, literally, drag you into the street and leave you shivering in the gutter over a thousand bucks. Heck, some loan sharks have bigger hearts.
4) There are relatively simple steps that can be taken to protect your home and family but they muct be taken BEFORE the problem arises.
5) In approximately 30 states you are liable for spousal medical bills regardless of whether you sign anything or not.
6) Hang a Bankster today.
-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
My wife is encouraging me to place all my assets in my sons name. The reason for this is if I need to enter a nursing home and have no assets Medicaid will pay the entire cost of the nursing home thereby protecting the estate. I am still in good shape so if I need a nursing home it should be years from now.
Do you have any opinions?
Dan Murphy
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote