View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Your future is bright. There are many memory compensating skills for you to learn. The first is simply learning to not depend on your short term memory. I simply tell people that I have no clue to what happened yesterday. Even my wife forgets that I have memory problems.

Research shows that using smart phones to keep track of events and ideas can be very beneficial for people with memory problems. If I am working on a project and need to walk away, I make a note of where I am in the project and what the next step should be. This helps prevent me trying to do the same work over again.

Hope you can find similar skills. I ma sure the are plenty of ideas here for living with poor memory.

My best to you.
Thanks for your reply and encouraging comments, but when I say I have no short term memory I mean that I won't remember what you just said to me, what I have just done, whether I've eaten, let alone what it was and if I enjoyed it! It's the same as it was immediately after my head injury. I spent 2 weeks "asleep" in rehab. When I "woke up" I had no memory of any of it. It is just like being asleep and when you wake up you can't remember anything. Not even your dreams.
My general memory is getting steadily worse. I do write myself cryptic notes to remind me of things, but then can't remember what they mean! My husband is very patient with me but does get irritated when I can't remember holidays etc. The difference is that if he reminds me of what we did and describes the place I can then remember.
My main concern is that other people seem to associate poor memory with stupidity and often bypass me and talk to my husband. My doctor has actually done that! "And how is your wife"!
AIMac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote