View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
My wife is encouraging me to place all my assets in my sons name. The reason for this is if I need to enter a nursing home and have no assets Medicaid will pay the entire cost of the nursing home thereby protecting the estate. I am still in good shape so if I need a nursing home it should be years from now.
Do you have any opinions?
Dan Murphy
When you apply for medicaid, they go back 5 years (at least) to see if any money from the estate has been moved. And when you apply, they go through every bill, insurance policy, asset the applicant has. The application process for my dad took 6 months.

At the very least, have up to date financial & medical powers of attorney, and wills. And consider adding your son as joint to your accounts. My dad had alzheimers first and passed away 3 years ago. Now my mom has alzheimers, and i’m so glad to have the legal documents necessary to care for her in place! When she started giving her money away, I was able to remove her from her accounts (we were joint). I plan to apply for medicaid on her behalf when the money runs out, and I am making sure I document where every cent is going now for her care because I will need that info for the medicaid application.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote