View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Don't eat before bedtime, makes meds work better

Abel, see my post about Ambien in the forum about Sleep Apnea and Sleep Disorders, about half way down the page "Ambien Tips & Tricks". Main point is that the stomach should be empty when you take it, because food / sugar / alcohol will make Ambien absorb too slowly to work. Might be the same for other meds like your Lunesta.

Try eating nothing for 4-6 hours before bedtime. I only allow myself to sip a little milk so my tummy doesn't gnaw at me. It sucks having to go to bed hungry, but getting to sleep is such a relief! If my tummy is totally empty, I'm conked out in 15 mins. If I have eaten more than a couple bites of anything, it can take an hour or more and have to take another one.

I hope this trick works for you. I have the same awful insomnia problem that I rarely feel sleepy (but tired a lot of the time) and nothing works for me. Ambien was a godsend 15 years ago and still is to this day for me. Do check out that post I mentioned in the other forum so you know how to keep from developing too much tolerance, too.
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-20-2012), Theta Z (11-19-2012)