View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default RSI and Filmmaking

Hello Everyone,

My name is Oded and I am a Columbia University film student. For the past year and a half I’ve been struggling with Repetitive Stress Injury in both of my hands.

I am an animator, filmmaker and artist. When I was told by the doctors that my hand strength is equivalent to that of an old lady's I took it pretty hard. I am in my early 30's and rely on my hands for my livelihood, my career, and to fulfill my creative side. Naturally I found myself changing my lifestyle, not being able to perform as I used to and giving up things I enjoyed doing, like drawing and playing the piano, not to mention the simplest tasks.

After a year and a half of intensive physical therapy, and adjustments to every aspect of my life, I am getting better, but there is no doubt that the past months have taken an emotional toll.

I have chosen to take that combination of despair, anger and hopelessness I felt, and use it as the basis for my thesis MFA film script. Working through a script-writing process has really helped me come to terms with my new situation and 'create' from a place that was truly 'rock bottom'. I will be shooting my film titled "When Sunny Gets Blue" in a week from now, and thought I would share with you how I found hope after feeling that the rug had been pulled from under me.

I would be happy to share with you my project and trailer, feel free to contact me **

Thanks,
Oded
WSGB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote