View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Getting better but losing hope

Hi all,

I'm 21 and female. I suffered a head injury on October 14th. I was playing rugby and got tackled onto my head... felt dazed for about a minute, but kept playing the next 70 minutes or so of the match. I got tackled a few more times after that, but nothing directly on my head besides one push to the face that gave me a black eye.

Thought I was all right, but 2 hours after the game I felt extremely "out of it". Next day I had the headaches and nausea and extreme light/noise sensitivity. My short term memory was pretty shot. Felt completely out of it, and finally got a C/T scan four days after the hit (clear).

Since my hit wasn't that bad, I've kept thinking that this would completely resolve within a week or two. It hasn't. Every week I slightly improve, but I'm never 100%. The light and noise sensitivity are mostly gone. I can spend time on the computer and watch tv, but reading print gives me headaches and nausea.

I went from being extremely active (weight lifting 4x a week, intense running 5x a week, rugby practice 2x a week) to completely inactive. I can walk for 3 miles without symptoms. I'm also a senior at a rigorous college. I've gotten incompletes for my classes with the hope that I'll be better by January and able to do the work without exacerbating my symptoms. I'm supposed to be writing a 100 page thesis...

Is this wishful thinking? I'm scared that I should just drop out of school. I can read for about 15 minutes without getting a headache and with the headache comes nausea. What if I'm not better by January?

There aren't many success stories on this site. I'm starting to lose hope and become depressed (before you ask, I was already on 50mg of zoloft prior to the tackle). I feel like I shouldn't be, though. I'm young and healthy and my concussion shouldn't be that bad.

Should I push myself and just do my school work? I don't know how long I can keep living without doing anything.
SillyRugger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lightrail11 (11-20-2012)