View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobabe View Post
Thanks Brue!

Any ideas as to how to improve circulation while having a nerve issue? I cannot move around a lot at the moment due to my leg and foot pain.
I started having leg pain several years ago. Concurrently I had severe pain in my small toe on my right foot. It was a burning pain where the toe began to turn blue and was extremely sensitive to even light touch. I was eventually diagnosed with PAD (I had a 98% blockage) in the abdominal aorta and a piece of plaque traveled downstream and landed in that toe. The toe resolved. Although the aorta was stented successfully, I continued and do today suffer with the same leg pain. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy because of the longstanding and untreated PAD. Often moving around more causes more pain and not moving I think causes the condition to worsen. But, about two years after having the stent, I purchased what is called an I-Squeeze. It is a foot and calf massager that also vibrates, massages, and squeezes the legs. When I have bouts of edema and/or pain, I use it. In fact, I use it daily because I am always in pain. It helps with edema and circulation (for me at least) as I can see the edema dissipate after using it for about an hour. I can also feel better circulation as I get somewhat itchy. I do believe it works somewhat like those medical grade compression hose or like a little pump to keep things moving. I am not particularly active (at least not as much as I should be) as I find it difficult to move around a lot since having circulatory problems. Mine is made by Brookstone but I have seen them on E-Bay as I think I am ready to replace mine since it is pretty well worn. I don't know of anyone else who uses one for this reason. It just made sense to me when you consider that hospitals use something similar around the ankles for those who are laid up for a while since presumably they help to prevent clots from inactivity. I know this is a long explanation, but I have not had any other blockages until recently as my VS thinks I may have an issue in the right illiac artery. But, it has served me well and I think helps with the pain, which is awful sometimes. It does not eliminate the pain, just helps. My doctor said if it works, then he saw no reason not to use it. Of course, anyone should ask his/her doctor about any device before using it as a treatment for any condition. But, just wanted to share. I would love to hear from anyone else who has used it for circulatory problems or peripheral neuropathy. So far, I have not.
Marahope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NerPain4 (11-20-2012), v5118lKftfk (04-29-2014)