View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my, does all this sound so similar. I am glad you found this resource, too. I wish I had found it earlier in my PCS journey, but very thankful I have this resource now.

I thought I was a nutt job, lazy, crazy, etc., and kept trying to stubbornly push through until my anxiety level was so high that when i finally realized I had to do something (over 1 year after accident), some of the doctors just thought I was hormonal and anxiety-ridden woman. Took months to get into neurologist. Had many tests done finally--MRIs, CAT scans, EEG. ENG, myelogram. Nothing "alarming" showed on brain MRIs but ENG did show damage to ear/brain area, and mris/myelogram showed damage to C-5/C-6 area of spinal cord and nerve compression. Neurosurgeon I was sent to wouldn't do surgery, but basically gave no other explanations or advice. Same from neurologist. My doctor didn't like that answer so awaiting an appointment with a different neurosurgeon. Comprehension testing just showed some little level of impairment--I must have been brilliant before the accident then (grin) as the impairment is much greater than tests showed. If they would have tested me later that same day, I probably would have forgotten or been so confused I would have failed miserably!!! I hope you have a decent psychiatrist. Mine seems to be the only doctor who actually has kept me going.

Anyhow, just keep reinforcing that how you feel is real and important--your family may sympathize, but they cannot understand. I feel like using my cane again as people are more understanding and nicer when they can see the disability, and we cannot parade our brains around. I have been really glad that my children are teenagers and older. You remember that YOU are the most important thing for your children to have--not a clean house or perfect mother.

Delegate the lawyer stuff to someone else if possible--husband, parent, etc. Dealing with doctors is exhausting enough.
Insist to the VA hospital you need help and see if you can get help at home.
Contact your local veteran clubs-American Legion, VFW, etc., and see if they can get you a volunteer to help you in your home or shopping or with children or something.

We know how hard it is to ask for help. Also hard to live with a disability, temporary or not, when you used to be active and energetic and have others depending on you. Just remember you need to be helped so you can get better and adjust your life to assist you in getting rest. Your children need your love the most, and I am sure they have that in abundance, so try to get some help with them so you can concentrate on healing their mom!
kwaddington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-20-2012)