View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hello Juliekay!

Welcome Aboard!

So glad you found us! There's plenty of support here, and we're a friendly crew who've all been at this important crossroads you now face. I'm so sorry for what you've been thru! You've fought quite a battle, all in the name of simply wanting a better quality of life. Hopefully this is exactly what you'll be getting this time around.

From reading your post, I'm assuming you initially had the percutaneous (under the skin) leads, 'sewn in', as you worded it, which is what I've got....and like Mark mentioned I ended up with a migrated lead. Lead migration is pretty common with the simple percutaneous lead placement.
NOW tho, it appears your Dr wants to secure the leads in better by doing the laminectomy, which will certainly be better for you in the long run, especially that you are pretty active. This surgery is a bit more involved and will have very strict 'restrictions' while recovering.

Several folks here have Medtronic SCS's (including moi). I'm very happy with mine. Others have Boston Scientifics, St Jude's, etc and are happy with them as well, tho each person here has a unique story to tell. Lots of us have had revisions and tweaks, which is pretty standard in terms of maintenance.

To answer your Q's the best I can....

Yes, Medtronic offers the trial procedure just as Boston Sci does. (all of the manufacturers do as far as I know).
The stimulation sensation will be similar to Boston Sci. However, you can obtain the different sensations depending on how you utilize the pulse rate/amplitude (slower will be more of a 'thump thump thump' and faster will be more of a constant 'buzz')

So, as Dec 3rd approaches, is this going to be a trial?

As far as advice, I'm sure you'll get plenty of great input from all our friends here.
The most important thing IMO is having a very good and trusting relationship with your Dr. Keeping good communication is also very important.
December 3rd isn't that far away. Do you feel as tho you are being rushed into this?

However this ends up coming together for you, you've got 'experience' on your side, so you pretty much know what to expect in the OR when your Rep is present with the rest of the medical team. Please keep us posted on this!
We truly care!

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (11-22-2012), eva5667faliure (11-20-2012), ger715 (11-20-2012), Hannabananna (11-20-2012), Mark56 (11-21-2012)