View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

They use very low doses of antidepressants for pain. They work differently at low doses for pain, than they do at higher doses for depression. If you are taking them at low dose for pain, they are not an antidepressant for you, they are a pain medication. Many medications get classed by their first usage but then get used for other purposes, so I don't think you should worry that anybody thinks you have a psychiatric illness just because they give you a low dose antidepressant. And that just shows how the stigma of psychiatric illnesses lives on too, that someone will not even take a low dose of antidepressants for pain for fear of the stigma. Wow. I wonder if bipolar people ever don't want to take anticonvulsants for their illness because they're not epileptic and don't have neuropathy? I doubt it. In fact the Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant so maybe you should worry about people thinking that you are epileptic? Sorry, as a person who suffers from depression, I'm just trying to make a point here. My point here is that just because you are prescribed an antidepressant, doesn't mean you have depression, just as getting prescribed anticonvulsants doesn't mean that you are epileptic.
KristaQ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (11-21-2012)