View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

People who suspect low potassium should get tested and not self medicate. Supplements are useless. They are too small a dose.
Eating foods high in potassium is the way to go.
One can of V8 has over 800mg of potassium.

http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-foods-list.html
The new RDA goal is 4,700mg a day.
The FDA limits OTC supplements to 99mg a tablet.
Gatorade is a poor source too at 30mg a serving.

Kidney problems will waste potassium in the urine.
Diarrhea, also lowers it.
Taking too much potassium can affect the heart and poison it so one has to be very careful with it. Excess caffeine and alcohol may cause a lowering of potassium.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_p...article_em.htm

Try soaking those feet in epsom salts. This will push magnesium into them. If your circulation is poor, taking oral magnesium may not reach your feet properly. So doing a soak will allow the magnesium to get to places that it cannot normally do if the circulation is poor.

If you suspect low potassium please see your doctor for tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Thanks guys. As always, that helps a lot. Now I'm trying to decide if I should add a potassium pill to my vitamin regiment, but don't know what kind, or even if I should.

Ever since I got a bit of a cold 7 days ago, I have been having very frequent cramps, especially in the soles of my feet. Today was the first day ever where I felt I had trouble walking because of it. That, on top of some intermittent prostate pains I had, has been driving me crazy the last few days. My stress levels are way up over this - feeling bad since just a week ago I had a 9-day in a row streak of feeling quite well & almost normal.

I was wondering if potassium would help ease my cramps, as they seem to be a major part of the remaining PN pains I suffer from.

Does anyone here know about potassium? As in if it's appropriate to take for PN or how much as a vitamin supplement I should take?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote