View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't think either of us referred to not wanting to take them because of some stigma- half the country is on anti-depressants and opiates are far more stigmatized. Your post, Krista, was very informative, but most of us with chronic pain know how they are used for it. My experience with trying Effexor was horrifying, my pupils were so dilated I was basically blind, so I am just not interested in going there, just like some people cannot tolerate gabapentin. I have also seen what admittedly much higher doses have done to my sister's personality, and it scares me. If they work for you that is all that matters, but as my pain is tolerable with opiate therapy alone I do not want to add drugs unnecessarily. Incidentally, I have struggled with very deep depression with suicidal ideation since childhood (mine was a nightmare) and opiates have been found to be effective in cases of long-standing depression. They certainly help me.

But afraid to take them because of some stigma? I feel like a drug addict every time I get my prescriptions filled, and I am considering switching to methadone, which is worse. I am not afraid of what anyone would think of an anti-depressant.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote