View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Emily - I don't know what state you're in, but have you tried medical marijuana? I'm in CA so it's accessible here. My docs acknowledge I'd be taking more gabapentin as well as needing other things for specific pain if I didn't have it. For me it helps me come home from work and be able to function for a few more hours, cook dinner for the family, get the things done around the house. It'll help me sleep if my nerves are really bugging me at night. I'm able to feel good enough to deal with my daughter's issues and needs, and be able to have fun with her when we have free time. But I do have other pain issues, as well as migraines and anxiety.

You commented on my post the other day. I've been taking a third 300mg dose of Gabapentin after work for the past few days. Not feeling much relief with that third dose, but not being able to come up with certain words started again, I know it'll fade mostly (that's my biggest side effect, word loss). I really don't know what else to do either. If I didn't have to work, I could smoke a little throughout the day and not load myself up with pharmaceuticals. I don't really get "stoned" when I'm using it for pain. There are different kinds out there that'll help with either getting your butt up and functioning, to being able to sleep and all kinds in between. My docs here are totally on board with this treatment, they just keep asking me to eat it (which I do sometimes, I have stuff to make cookies when I get home) or to vaporize it. But alas, I'm that breadwinner and would never go to work "medicated" (which is why I'm saving that extra dose of Gabapentin for after work, I need my brain).

I have had to take Percocet once in my life, about a year ago for the burn that caused my nerve damage. I was completely addicted within 10 days. Tried to not take one and I was in full withdrawal. Horrible stuff those pain pills! But they worked for the pain. I wouldn't ever take it again unless I had the worst of the worst in pain. I have gone to a pain doc a few years back and all he wanted to do was fill me up with pills, as well as physical therapy that made the pain worse. I have never found a "pain" pill that works on me, without addiction issues or without upsetting my stomach too much. Even too much ibuprofen will upset my stomach. I'm a lightweight.
chaos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote