View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
I don't know if you have them in the US (where I'm assuming you are) but in the UK we have something called flapjacks which are naturally GF and very good as a snack. They're a bit like oatmeal raisin cookies but more buttery. Look up a recipe... it's just a case of combining melted butter, sugar, honey and oats before baking.

Hope that helps...!
Just a quick note to the flapjacks and oats thing - although oats are naturally gluten free, they are cross-contaminated by wheat during the harvesting, storage, processing, packaging etc stages, so normal oats bought in a shop are NOT gluten free! You can get 'Pure Oats' from health food shops and big supermarkets, but even then you need to discuss it with your doc really before introducing them, and then start with small amounts while you see how your system reacts. Some coeliacs can't tolerate oats at all, and as you will know you have to be careful.... I think (do correct me if I'm wrong!) it's because some of the natural proteins (?) in oats are similar to gluten, and your body might react to them as it does to gluten.

Love the tip on the leftover risotto - I'm going to try that!! I love risotto!

I (and my family now, lol) really love a snack/meal I call tuna potato salad - you cook, mash and cool potatoes, then add drained flaked tuna (or any fish), fresh parsley if you can, finely chopped onion (yes, really, its lush) and mayo. Then just mix the whole lot together with a fork until its nicely combined - you don't want it too dry, so add more mayo if need be. We eat it with homemade chutney and a green salad or whatever salad stuff we have around. It's great because you can put the leftovers in the fridge for later - of there are any!!

Keep the ideas coming - its great to get new ideas!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote