View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So far so good on the diagnostic front; in that at least the headaches are likely not due to MS. The hand/arm issues probably are another bout of partial transverse myelitis though and this time it is likely happening in the neck rather than in the mid back. No worries, the symptoms are comparatively mild to what I've experienced before with TM and if that is the cause, things should come around within another month or so.

All that has shown up so far is a slight change (swelling) in the optic disc of one eye and a few new neuro deficits; so the tentative Dx is idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
What does that mean I asked a physician friend and she said that "It means that the doctor is an idiot and the patient is pathetic due to an increase of CSF pressure in the head" .

Will be having spinal x-rays on Monday to see if there is a problem with the spine of the neck itself and there very well may be because I had a very bad forward fall into a tree about six weeks ago (the stupid legs gave out while I was picking up windfall apples). I banged my head quite badly but at the time I had no symptoms other than a large goose egg on the top of the noggin, so didn't think any more about it.
Strange that the headaches might be related to an injury that happened so long ago, but the doctor feels that there may have been a concussion and/or a spinal compression in the neck .

He's suggested a high dose of Ibuprofen to decrease the inflammation, along with some antacids to deal with the intestinal irritation that it might cause. We'll keep an eye on liver function and digestive function in the meantime as those are concerns in my case.
Thankfully the Ibuprofen is decreasing the headache as well as the numbness & pain in the hands/arms so there is light at the end of the tunnel...and it isn't the train .

I'm feeling so much better about all of these recent symptoms, now that I have some answers that indicate that these too will pass.

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes and prayers.
It really means so much to have friends like you to confide in and who truly understand what we go through when things like these show up .

With love, Erika

Last edited by Erika; 11-21-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: type o hands are still not working very well
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-27-2012), Judy2 (11-25-2012), SallyC (11-21-2012)