View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy 4 year old boy with finger laceration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
1) Compression along the axons, may affect the insulation called myelin there. Myelin is repaired by the body using B12, B6, Folate, glycine (from root veggies) and by Omega-3 fatty acids.
So some flax oil, and fish oil often speed repair.

2) a second type of damage is to the nerve cell body. Typically attacks on the mitochondria, the energy cells within the cell body become damaged. The cell may die, or just function below normal. A dead cell cannot come back. (I am unsure if new cells are made--since the peripheral nervous system is supposed to "regenerate".) Nerve damage of this type is mostly nutrient that support the mitochondria. Acetyl carnitine, CoQ-10, Vit C, r-lipoic acid are examples of this type.

3) chemical attack of the cells by the polyol pathway, excess blood sugar (also very low blood sugar), often damage the dendrites. This leads to more numbness rather than pain. There can be upset sensory effects at this level, because the dendrites are sending wonky messages to the brain. Control of insulin resistance and blood sugar can help this type. Also the B12, B6 and folate work at this level too.

People can have mixtures of these of course. And autoimmune issues may attack the nerve cells randomly.

So if yours is mostly compression, I'd start with #1.
You can approach this from all the prongs, if you have the financial resources to do it. Not everyone is the same genetically and until we have more accurate biochemical ways to ID people, we can only have a general impression of how to do things.
Hi all, I googled nerve damage and how to treat and ended up here. I have a four year old boy who snuck into the back of a shop when i was chatting to someone and tried to cut himself a slice of bread but ended up cutting his finger tip. He currently has some steri stitches and a waterproof dressing. Would like to do all I can to help it heal. Was going to buy a good multi-vitamin and some vit C but if there is another supplement I can get him to help heal any nerve damage I would be grateful for any advice on it. I feel so upset for him and don't want him to be in longterm discomfort
Belgrave12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote