View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sospan,

I tend to agree with you. Clinicians can only go by what they see at the time and compare it to the average.

That being said, there are some things which can improve the assessment process.

1. If you have a GP who was following you for a long time before your injury, they are more likely to see changes in your presentation pre and post concussion. (I have a 20 year history with my GP - he diagnosed me as post-concussion syndrome when my symptoms did not improve after 2 weeks).

2. Ask if you can bring someone to the assessment who knew you before the injury so they can provide collateral history on how you were before and what changes they have observed. (I work in a specialty psychiatric clinic for patients with Mood Disorders and we ask them to bring in someone who can provide collateral pre and post illness episode).

3. Understand that most Neuropsych testing is only beneficial in determining what level you are functioning at now and quantifying improvements in your functioning. (My GP is sending me for Neuropsych testing now and wants it repeated in 6 months in order to see what improvements I make).

Hope that this helps

Cheers
Virginia in Canada is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote