View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes Bryanna,
That would be a good idea, someone who can lay it all out, my dentist is really nice and he knows I have been through a lot so he may have been like that initially with me because of that and then I didn't see him so much as the different hygienists.

He did work on the night guard and sent it back to the lab because it had a really big part that stuck out and I think they ground it down too much and because my teeth weren't slamming against each other anymore I thought it was better. Now it needs to be built back up again!

Thank you very much , you do have a good explanatory manner. I wasn't really thinking in terms of the actual tooth being bad as I was about the gums and kept thinking if the infection in the gums could be eradicated then it would be all right.

Appreciate your help, Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Terry,

Believe me, I know just how frustrating this whole situation can be. That's why I wholeheartedly believe that every dental office should have an educated patient advocate, like myself, to be the liaison between the dentist and the patient. This way the patient can be well informed, the dentist can do his work and the treatment plan is straight forward right from the beginning.

It has been my experience time and time again that dentists are afraid to give the patient the "bad news" at the onset. Which is not an easy thing to do and the concern is that the patient will become too afraid to move forward. So they are vague about certain things or they set up an *** backwards plan just to get the patient to commit to some treatment. They hope the patient will follow through with the easier stuff and continue forward with the rest of it. On the other hand, some dentists are not all that concerned about their patients systemic health and have to be reminded about the whole body connection. In this day and age... this should not be happening at all, but unfortunately it's a huge flaw within the dental profession.

If your night guard is not fitting well, it is imperative to have it adjusted because the teeth that are hitting too hard will continue to deteriorate irrelevant of what treatment you have done.

It is important to know that anytime you try to retain teeth that are not healthy, the infection will always be present because bacteria continues to thrive in and around these teeth. It can be very defeating to the rest of your teeth as the bacteria makes it way around your mouth.... not to mention the continued systemic consequences associated with retaining ill teeth.

I know it's hard to lose teeth but it's important to always think of the big picture and if being healthy is the goal..... then the best solution is obvious.

Anytime you have teeth removed there is always the chance that the other teeth next to or above/below the missing ones will shift. Every case is different due to what other teeth are already missing. It is difficult and sometimes not favorable to replace teeth in areas that have extensive bone loss. Again, each case is different.

Discuss replacement options with your dentist and you and he can work out a plan that feels right to you. In the meantime, remove the ill teeth so you can get on with your plan to have the other surgery without worrying about complications brought on by your teeth.

Hope this was helpful..... keep us posted!
Bryanna
terravue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote