View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Numbness below elbow (slight) and numbness in index finger and thumb.

Hi, I just had another surgery on the right shoulder, I have had two on the left one in the past 25 years. I am not new to surgeries or pain. I had a labrum tear and the doctor and anesthesiologist pretty much insisted on nerve block instead of general anesthesia. I was never told that i would have a difficulty taking deep breaths or that that I would get the droopy eye and raspy voice until I had a panic attack as it was happening. I signed the consent and now I wish I would have never done it (I can handle pain).
The dead arm sensation freaked me out to no end but I can say now that it is the least of my worries. The sensation started to come back within several hours and of course I still needed pain meds. By 26 hours post op I still had no feeling in my right thumb and index finger. The nurse told me that it would resolve itself by the end of the day. It did not. I also realized the inside of my arm, elbow down is numb, but not completely. I called my doctor on Thanksgiving, (day 3) as he was getting out of surgery and he said he had never heard of that following the never block in the neck. He said t give it a few more days. The thumb actually is cold feeling and feels sort of deadened, but oddly painful. Which makes no sense as I keep using the word numb. To say the least, and yes pun intended it is nerve racking!! Tomorrow is day 5 and I pray to God that this is not permanent . So did I suffer nerve damage either by the nerve block or by positioning on operating table or am I crazy?
All I know is that I cannot tolerate this. Do I call my surgeon on Monday or the anesthesiologist? I am super bummed out by this. I feel I traded one thing for another if it is indeed permanent. Everything I have read says it all resolves itself, just could take weeks or months. Please, anyone with similar issue please respond. Let me add that I am 48 year old female and am in good health despite the surgeries but I can say they are from tennis. I am active and cannot I cannot handle this lasting forever.

Sincerely,

Mel
Mebany is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote