View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good to see that you are going to a pain clinic. I stress to my providers up here in Alaska that they need to look at me like a whole person - and to stop focusing on one area.

That is what you will find at a pain clinic - a holistic (look at the whole you) from injury to medication to counseling to physical therapy and more. I wish you all the best.

For the Epidurals - I am a vet in that area too :-) If you haven't had one yet - here is about what happens.

1. Have a support person go to the appointment with you - to be there and drive you home after the proceedure.

2. Dress in loose fitting clothes so that you do not need to bend or twist much when getting dressed.

3. Drink plenty of fluids before the proceedure - if you are told to fast - drink water up until that time.

4. Have an ipod or something with you that can distract and play music - helps to defocus from the proceedure.

5. Take a ice (freezer pack - one of those big blue ones we get for ice chests) with you and have that for your lower back - on the way home.

6. When you get home, immediately lie down and darken your room. Rest and lay on your side - prop up with pillows. When the lindocaine wears off then a hot bath will help your muscles to relax.

Drink plenty of fluids - gatorade for the salts and a red tea like raspberry or cranberry is very good relaxants -

take it easy and ease back into dealing with the kids and laundry. Take life slow.

All the best to you......

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote