Thread: well rats....
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue well rats....

Here I go again...

My Windows updates either got away from me or they sent out a bunch all at once. I discovered them when 9 had been installed and 3 were left. I tried to do the last 3, they were taking so long on dial up I cancelled the download. All of the ones that were done were cancelled and I had to start over. It started over, picked up 6 during normal usage and this AM I schlepped down to Starbucks because I have dial up and I thought with their wireless they last ones would download fast and install. It took about 3 seconds for them to downoald but.. .INSTALLATION FAILED, 'reason unknown'.

So I came hime and thought maybe the problem was I needed to disable AVG as one was a Windows security update but it was hard to figure out how to disable it. In looking I found 'Windows Fix It' for failed installations.. I got distracted insalled that and started downloading again for the 3 (?) updates it is offering ( 3 more of the original 9 it completed have also failed so I have 6 good ones out of 12). So here I sit, 69.4 MB downloading 8% complete after about 1/2hour. I dont know if it is redoing the ones already installed and if it will wipe them all out again if I stop it.

Should I just let the stupid thig go until it decides if it can do or or not? It gets a little warm and annoyed with the endless downloading but I'm afraid I'll lose what it did do if I stop it again. It will also time out after 8 hours and I will lose internet.

I know I need to have it reformatted or just get wireless. I am having so many health problems from the pollution in my area I think I need to save every penny to move. I was too sick to go to the ER on Tgivng and too sick to go to my clinic the day after so went to ER then. I really just need to patch the stupid thing together so it will work for a little while longer until my health get s stabilized a bit. DO NOT SMOKE, people, if you get COPD they will give you medication that makes a few people's immune response go beserk and you might be one!

Thanks for any ideas, I guess Im just asking if it will melt my computer if I just let it try to download slowly for hours and hours.

judi

PS 32% downloaded now but I have a bad feeling the installation will fail anyhow. should I try disabling AVG ? I think I know how.

Last edited by zygopetalum; 11-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote