View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Wheat Blues

Wheat, the way you imagine it, and the way it is portrayed in advertising, does not exist any longer. It has all been hybridized for ease of harvest, and it is undigestible. Do you realize that modern wheat plants are as tall as your knee?
It is true that many of us with PN have sensitivity to the gluten. But that's not the only problem. Gliadin, a wheat protein, penetrates tissue; so that your gut is leaking toxins directly into your bloodstream. It also breeches the blood/brain barrier. What problems can that create? Name a target organ; pancreas, liver, kidneys, skin, and of course, brain and nerves.
I know that some of us are affected more than others. But I really believe wheat is a toxic substance, and just because you think you can tolerate it, you are still better off without it.
I am no longer pre-diabetic, and my wife no longer has arthritis or migraines. I have a friend who went gluten-free, and totally reversed a seriously deteriorating case of type 2 Diabetes; after one year, he no longer needs insulin.

There are increasing numbers of studies linking gluten with everything from autism to diabetes, MS to obesity. I realize that it's not the only cause of neuropathy, but it will never help, and is always a suspect; either as the primary cause, or just something that makes it harder to heal. It's just not a good thing to live with. Going gluten-free is terribly inconvenient; but I'd never go back.

There are many good books; my favorite is "Wheat Belly," by William Davis.
Steven N is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote