View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Got to read that book soon. It won't be hard for me to avoid wheat as per say -gluten, I'm not so sure about as I'm sure it's added in a lot of products. But avoiding things like wheat bread and shredded wheat cereal would be easy to say the least.

Does anybody know if oatmeal is gluten based or wheat based? I eat a lot of oatmeal -I wouldn't want to be eating the wrong thing. Oats are totally different than wheat, right?

Funny thing: I was getting Glucose and Gluten mixed up I think. LOL
What's really ironic about that is that 2 pieces of whole wheat toast have a higher glycemic index than 2 spoons of table sugar.
You are absolutely right about how hard it is to avoid gluten; it is used as a cheap thickener in many, many products. After 3 months of cutting gluten out of my diet, I found that the second ingredient in my shampoo was wheat protein. So I avoided eating it, but rubbed it into my scalp with hot water every morning!
Oats are non-glutenous. For people with real sensitivity, it is important to purchase oats from a facility that processes them separately from glutenous grains. Some brands specify "gluten-free," which means they are meticulous about avoiding cross-contamination.
Dr. Davis' book is about $15 from Amazon.com, and it's helpful. You can also go on his web site: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com for more support.
Good luck.

Last edited by Steven N; 11-26-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: addition
Steven N is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote