View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you so much everyone!

To give you a little more info on the breastfeeding thing, my baby was born 2 months early (as if I didn't have enough to worry about!) and never learned to feed at breast. Instead, I've been exclusively pumping for the past 13 1/2 months. I'm down to 2 pumps a day and still am able to provide her with all her milk needs for the day. By the time I have surgery she'll be about 15 months old and there's no medical reason she continues to need my breast milk. She's extremely tall and well above average for her length. She has no nutritional problems or food aversions and has tried cows milk and coconut milk successfully. I have absolutely no worries about having to dump milk for awhile. I have about 2 months worth of milk frozen in the fridge but even if I have to go through all that, there is no problem for me to just give her coconut milk and dump my milk until it is clean from medications then start up again. My concern was mostly that I would be completely unable to pump (for about a half hour twice a day). I do have a good pump and if I need to I'll rent a hospital grade. I'd like to continue to provide her with milk through next cold/flu season so... a total of 2 1/2 years but if I end up drying up from all of the excess resources going towards healing then, though I won't be happy about it, it will be okay.
At this point, I'm in so much pain and have so much weakness/lack of dexterity that it has become more important for me to be able to play with my baby, to snuggle and to hold her than to provide her with breast milk. I was in tears the other day when I took her into her room to play. All I could do was lay on the floor and watch her. I feel like a stump on the ground- unable to participate in life; only look on.
It's time to start feeling better so I can be a mom to my baby.
I do have a wiggly baby! She won't stop moving, she's the most active child I've met! I'm hoping that I will be able to hold her quickly or at least safely snuggle up next to her. I don't plan on being alone with her until at least 8 weeks have gone by.
Thank you very much for the list of pain medications! As I said, if I must pump and dump, I will but if I can safely give the milk to my baby than that would be ideal. It's just as painful to watch that go down the drain as TOS! I am not currently taking any pain killers or muscle relaxants for my baby's sake. Let me tell you... I am one unhappy camper. Unfortunately, flexeril never helped me (nor did Skelaxin) and Tramadol was great until I started developing an allergy to it. I do know that propofol and hydromorphone are safe while breastfeeding (believe it or not!)
Thank you so much you guys. I want all the information I can get. I'm the type of person that needs information to feel comfortable moving forward. I hope you know how truly appreciated this is! I've already spent many hours looking through old posts to get a feel for what I'm up against.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote