View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Keep in mind that many gluten free baking powders and breads, have a HIGHER glycemic index than other products. They often have potato flour, and tapioca flour in them. People who can't tolerate potatoes would have problems with that.

I found brown rice pasta, however, to be lower in glycemic load and therefore easier for diabetic patients. The brand is Tinkyada.

It is much easier to find gluten free things even in a grocery store today. There is gluten free Bisquick, and Chex cereals are gluten free (corn and rice ones).

Tinkyada is in some local stores now too. On line Amazon has it but only in bulk orders of 12. I found it very very good--the best of all the gluten free pasta products, in fact.

I did gluten free for 3 yrs. It did not change my PN at all.
I still avoid it to some extent, just in case. But I do have some wheat, but avoid high gluten things like bagels, etc. I do oatmeal, cherrios, and Crispix cereals, but not every day.
I did it mostly for GI problems. Since then I discovered fructose was the culprit, and also that the Kefir, fixed my dysbiosis which was long standing from previous years of antibiotics. Over a decade ago I used to get 4 bronchitis infections a year, but that stopped when I improved my lungs with Omega-3's. And now the Vit D daily, has blocked colds even for us! I've had one course of Zithromax in the past decade compared to previous years when I worked with the public who were always sick with something!

Amazon has a gluten free section now:
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Fo...ode=2204829011

Gluten free can be pricey. But if you start with lean meats, fruits, and veggies...you can have nice meals, without much increased costs.
Brown rice is easier on your blood sugar than white rices. I have to avoid potatoes however... but if you find they are causing burning then don't use them. I tend to use yams and sweet potatoes alot here instead. There are corn tortillas that you can make roll up sandwiches with etc.
Very good point; just avoiding gluten isn't enough; carefully planning diet is important; Davis' book points out that you can just shop in the gluten-free section of a store, and still wind up fat and diabetic. Tons of potato, tapioca, and other starches, as well as fructose, are still a problem.

I don't know how many people have PN because of gluten; but I do believe it does harm in general, and just makes it harder for healing, in general.

Yes, Tinkyada is the best I've found, and I can buy it in Publix here, or actually cheaper in a local health food store. Vitacost.com probably has the best price.
Steven N is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-28-2012)