View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebus View Post
Good point, I think that might be the case with my right cubital tunnel as well since it just randomly appeared a year after my TOS symptoms started. After talking to my doc about it I've decided to go along with surgery to see if it helps since my symptoms are severe, and the way I understand I've got obvious signs such as loss of pulse with maneuvers that wouldn't be seen if you just had some nerve issue, so hopefully I'm just dealing with classic TOS and this fixes it.

Like it is true that TOS isn't my only problem, but I think I'm being paranoid trying to stick them all together. Worst case scenario, I get the surgery and it doesn't help and I just move on from there with just a few weeks of pain to complain about. Best case scenario I'm cured and I put this whole year of misery behind me and move on with my life (besides posting here with you guys ofc )

I mean my only debate is getting a second opinion, but my insurance has me on a clock since my coverage changes at the end of December, and my doc from what i read is one of the top of his field, Dr Pearl. So I'm thinking just go for it. You guys with agree?
Last year I was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome at my left elbow. My main complaint at the time was pain above my elbow on the back of my arm. I also had numbness in my forearm and all my fingers, though my 4th and 5th digit were the worst. Even though I didn't 100% agree with the doctor, he was able to talk me in to surgery to release the ulnar nerve in my elbow. If I had known the recovery was nothing like what he claimed, I would have definitely gotten a second opinion. This was after he completely disregarded my concern that my problem was that of developing TOS, as he said it was impossible for that to be the reason for Cubital Tunnel Syndrome symptoms.

Anyways, after surgery I went through rehab for 1 month, during which I developed the exact same problem on my right side. This was followed by a recurrence of issues on my left side. Long story short, my opinion is my TOS was causing problems elsewhere, as I decided to go to another doctor and was diagnosed with TOS (with complete occlusion of subclavian artery in several positions). I also had issues with my subclavian vein, with some instances of swelling that really freaked me out. My TOS was bilateral, with my right arm ending up worse, even though my left was the first with symptoms.

That being said, at the very least I would ALWAYS get a second opinion. I regret not doing so from the beginning.

I also believe a major component in my development of TOS was shoulder instability. I have a history of shoulder impingement. So even TOS has underlying causes that need to be addressed. Unless somebody told me my life depended on surgery to address TOS, I wouldn't have it done. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Seeman; 11-28-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: detail omitted
Seeman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote