Thread: Remission
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacrusis View Post
Hi Jana –

Talking of ´normal´ but in a different setting I thought you might enjoy this little paragraph - I stumbled upon this and thought it precious in some ways - especially the last sentence….

´Sarah of Washington wrote: “I’m really confused by the fact that these young women didn’t realize they were weak even though one couldn’t do more than one sit-up and the other couldn’t lift a gallon of milk.” Many readers felt equally bewildered. But Anon from New York wrote about the perceptions of those with chronic diseases: “When you live with your own ‘normal’ (which may be wholly abnormal), you take for granted everyone else feels that way, too. . . . If it is all you have ever known, you can see why it would be something a patient might not mention.” For the parents, it would have taken an enormous leap to imagine that their seemingly healthy daughters could have something seriously wrong with them. Often, what we see in our children defines our understanding of normal. This family, like many who live with chronic diseases, have come to understand that there are at least two kinds of normal — one for them and one for everyone else.´

From here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/ma...agnosis-t.html

Have a cool day

Anacrusis
WOW!! How profound! This type of logical thinking just fascinates me! I'm telling you, I learn something new everyday!! Thanks, Anacrusis!

Great article, too. Pompes?!?!?!?! Gonna have to remember that one!!

Yep -- having a "cool" day here in Tennessee. Actually rather "brisk" -- brrrrrr. (I know that you didn't mean "cool" literally -- but, I couldn't resist.) I hate the cold and am sitting next to a sunny window.

Again, thanks for sharing!!
Alan53 (03-30-2013)