View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mrs. D, I'm sure, will come along--

--but as I'm here earlier this morning, I'll address of few of the questions:

First, a figure for B12 around 1000 is not high at all if you've been orally supplementing. Many of us here keep our B12 ranges in that area or higher. I've had readings as high as 1864. B12 has no known toxicity level and only rarely does a very high B12 level indicate something problematic, and not if it is easily explained by supplementing with between 1000-5000mcg/day. You may have to explain this to doctors, though, or see if you can get them to access some of the literature linked to in our B12 thread:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Second--an hemoglobin A1C of 5.7 is just at the edges now of the new ranges for impaired glucose tolerance. That range used to be 6.0, but just like with the downward pressure from pharmaceutical companies regarding "healthy" levels of cholesterol, there's been pressure to think of "normal" glucose as lower and lower. Most of use, though, have some degree of glucose dysregulation as we age, due to insulin resistance (our tissue become less sensitive to the action of insulin to drive glucose into cells); the trick, especially if we have certain types of diabetes-favoring heredity, is to keep it from progressing to diabetes. Mrs. D's suggestion are sound. And, a longer glucose tolerance test--4-5 hour, with both glucose AND insulin level draws at baseline, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 and 5 hours (admittedly, this is boring and you feel like a pincushion) is far better for noting the patterns of insulin rise and fall and how they match that of glucose rise and fall. Mine, for example, show the insulin resistance, in that my fasting insulin is relatively high and my body overproduces insulin after the drink to keep my blood sugar in check, to the extent that in the third-fourth hour it drives my blood sugar levels into the 60's-70's--a reactive hypoglycemia. This type of action would likely be missed with a shorter glucose tolerance test.

Still, there is considerable evidence now that neuropathy can occur with just impaired glucose tolerance rather than years of frank diabetes. Searching under my name here and "impaired glucose tolerance neuropathy" will bring you whole lists of literature I posted links to on the subject if you want.

And, P5P is the activated form of B6, which some people do need to take due to genetic errors in the chemical processes in converting vitamins to usable form--not unlike the need of some people to take the already methylated form of B12 (methylcobalamin). Some people who show high serum levels of B6 seems to be accumulating it due to the inability to convert. To my knowledge, those who have supplemented with P5P have often experienced a drop in B6 levels to normal ranges, and I know of nobody who has had neuropathy symptoms on P5P. It may well be that those who have neuropathy symptoms on high dose B6 (pyrodoxine intoxication--very rarely reported in any case) could not convert it.

Many people have reported some symptom relief with B1 supplementation, especially the fat-soluble form benfotiamine, which is now widely available.

Last edited by glenntaj; 11-30-2012 at 07:05 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joe Duffer (09-11-2014), mrsD (11-29-2012)