View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--about why chronic pain, including neuropathy pain, is worse for many at night; I tend to go with the idea that as the day winds down, there are fewer distractions and inputs from other sensory channels that might interfere with the perception of the pain and so it seems raised.

It's likely, though, that for many hormonal and circulatory variations may play a part as well.
I too have this problem, and think perhaps this could be part of the reason.

In a recent visit with my doc at MGH, Dr. Berry, who specializes in problems like this I asked a similar question. I asked the question why does moderate exercise (e.g., working in the yard raking leaves, being on my feet) for several hours give me relief that evening and part way into the next day. He said he hears this story often, and says the one theory is it has to do with the thalamus.

As the theory goes, your thalamus gates (filters) out certain inputs so you are not overwhelmed with meaningless inputs, and can pay attention to the important ones. If you are sitting down right now, why don't you feel the pressure on your butt? So when I work in the yard, the thalamus changes its gating for a period of time that gives me relief.

So perhaps thalamus gating changes in the evening giving us that pain input.
dac122 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RichInNY (02-08-2013)