View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree that you should definitely call the doctor's office and see if they can call something in for you. The hard thing with CRPS is that it is often getting the right mixture of meds more than getting the right ONE med that helps with the pain...at least in my experience. When I was taking tramadol I was also on meloxicam (anti-inflammatory), lyrica, and doxepin (anti-depressant). This was a good combo for me in the beginning and it helped manage the pain levels to a bearable level of 5-6 on a constant basis (though I regularly had flares). You should only go on one med a time however so it can take a while to get the combo right.

That said...it doesn't really help you much right NOW. Have narcotic pain meds like Norco helped you pain at all? They didn't help mine at all...less than the tramadol...but if they do then you might be able to get an Rx of them at the ER. The ER also might be able to give you something while you are there to get the pain levels down and at least break your current pain cycle. I know I have usually been treated okay at the ER...but there's not much they can do for me because of the nature of this RSD beast so I go in with pretty low expectations. Sometimes at the ER though they can contact my doctor and get my appointment bumped up quicker.

If you have a family doctor you might...stress MIGHT...be able to help you out with something in the short term. I would not really recommend this because too many doctors getting mixed up in your meds and treatment can create a bigger mess...but if you are at the end of your rope and if your pain doctor doesn't get back to you then it's another option. Really depends on the doctor what, if anything, they will be able to offer you.

Is there anything that you know of that helps ease your pain? Heat, for example? It helps mine and many others so I find hot baths with Epsom salts can help when my pain levels are high. I also have a portable TENS unit and a portable ultrasound heat therapy machine that help. And then there's also a space heater that I will set up next to my chair so the heat blows directly on me when I am going to be sitting for a while. Also...those heating patches you can get at the pharmacy (therma-care and the generic versions) that can be applied directly to an area and worn as you move around.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find some relief soon. Take care.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote