View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
The MRI is just another DX tool and thats all it is. Having multiple MRIs in a short time, is a waste of money. The Docs and Med Centers don't mind wasting it, but I do.

Next year your lesions may show up. Take a breath and have your Doc treat your symptoms. That's what we all do.

Good wishes
I'm so with Sally on this. MRI is only diagnostic, there does not have to be an absolute correlation between symptoms and lesions. You definately need a doc who is experienced with MS, so they will treat your symptoms. I can understand why they would want an MRI if you are having a drastic change in symptoms, but I also think that's like chasing a train with a tricycle. They know the damage is done, pinpointing the location only confirms their clinical suspicions. You are already diagnosed with MS, is it really necessary to confirm a new lesion when you are experiencing symptoms? Treat the patient, not the scan.

MRI examines differences in tissue density. This is why new lesions are detected with contrast. They have a different tissue density than old lesions. A new lesion starts with demyelinization (the injury to the nerve), and then your body needs some time to heal and create scar tissue over the injured area, which then has a tissue dinsity that is more easily detected on non-contrast MRI's.

I'm glad you are seeing a new neuro. Remember, doctors are not God's. They are people that WE HIRE to perform a service, just like a lawyer or mechanic. If they are not doing the job we are paying them to do, we can fire them and hire someone who will. A good question to ask the new doc would be something like, "What is your philosophy on treatment?" "Do you treat the patient first, or wait for the scan to show something?" Remember, new events may not show up on an MRI, but the damage and progression can be cut short if the patient is promptly treated. If you do not like the answer, feel free to begin interviewing someone else for the job. It is their privilege to treat YOU, not your privilege to be their patient.

Good luck!

Tammey
Tammey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bort (11-30-2012), Debbie D (11-30-2012), Erika (11-29-2012), keepingfaith (01-27-2013), LisaLisa37 (11-30-2012), Lynn (11-29-2012), SallyC (11-29-2012), yeti (11-29-2012)