View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Jana, What happens if you have a protein shake? Well, besides not being able to swallow it well. Though you can always put oatmeal in it to thicken it up but that would defeat the liquid experiment.

Never tried a protein shake. I don't even eat much meat -- just chicken and fish. I don't drink milkshakes, either.

I was wondering if liquid food went down. Due to my lack of stomach acid, I'm on Mestinon Syrup. It's a PITA due to it's size but it absorbs more quickly. I've never even tried the tablets.

I have to tell you that I think the drug companies, via antacids, are making us ill. People get sick from pigging out and then pop an antacid to feel better. But if you don't have enough stomach acid, the whole cycle keeps getting worse. Then you move on to acid blockers. Again, worse. Why would the human body have stomach acid in it if it wasn't good for us? The percentage of people who have too much is like less than 5%. That's not who is targeted for the sale of the antacids/acid blockers. To them, we're just a revenue stream.

You really can't say for sure if this is a acid or motility issue. If food isn't digested in the stomach - which is the main job of the stomach - then you really can't blame that on paresis. If the food coming up is more liquified, then I would think it's paresis. But that doesn't sound like what's going on, especially when it's had 8 or so hours to digest.

This makes TOTAL sense!

If you put a piece of food in a bowl, which literally has complete paresis, and then pour some liquid acid on it, it will eat away at the food. That's what came into my mind and made me still think it's an acid issue. Or the Coca-Cola experiment where it's so corrosive that it "digests" steak.

Okay, I have to ask . . . how's your B12 level? Iron, calcium or protein?

B12 was checked about a year ago -- OK. Iron is low -- I took tablets until they made me nauseous. Now I'm eating VERY fortified cereal. Calcium was OK -- don't know about protein. I think they may have checked levels in my urine? If so, it was OK, too.

Also, the cabbage family (broccoli, etc.) is notorious for causing huge amounts of gas.

Yeah, and these are my FAVORITE foods!! Love me some Brussel sprouts!

I'm glad you chimed in on this, Rach. I was hoping you would too.

Did your Dad have cancer of the pancreas alone or was it elsewhere? My grandparents had adenocarcinoma that started in the colon and then spread to organs from there. That's a significant difference.

He had adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. It spread to the liver, diaphragm, and lymph nodes before being found. Started in the tail of the pancreas, so he didn't have the early tell-tale jaundice. He lived about 3 or 4 months after diagnosis.

Do you know if you have a hiatal hernia?

I don't think so. BUT, my dad did and my sister does!

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia

Whatever is going on, it's making you miserable. I'm glad you have such a good primary doc to help you.

Thanks so much -- and I have good people here helping me, too!

Annie

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dig...system/an00896

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/yrdd/
I just got back from the GP -- will post what he said in a new box.