View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Really, I look for the gluten content in the bread.

Some multigrains have much less gluten in them. But I have seen some "whole wheat" breads with gluten as the SECOND ingredient. Gluten is "glue" and is the main component that
causes the intolerances. Gluten is also high in bagels.

Another thing that is difficult to get out of bread is SUGAR!

Some pizza doughs are very high in gluten as well... this lends the dough to being flung around, without falling apart.
I got an important question for you mrsD:

I bought a bottle of Potassium Glucanate 99mg from GNC a few days ago and have been taking 1 pill a day since then.

Because I have moderately high blood pressure (but low cholesterol oddly) and my potassium is a bit low, I thought that taking these small amounts (99 mg per day)) might help a little with lowering my high blood pressure, help repair nerve damage, and help my kidneys a bit. ( Last year I had a Kidney stone).

It says that 2000mg per day is the standards for adults and since I'm taking 20 times less than that (99mg), I figured it was safe. --Is it?

I'm also drinking a V8 every other day, and some bananas, too for some additional potassium.

But I'm concerned about taking potassium after I read the article on this link below.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/potassium-gluconate.html

Here it says that potassium can cause tingling, numbness and muscle weakness - and this makes me very concerned, since I don't want to take anything that even remotely might cause Neuropathy -as my entire goal is to rid myself of it.

Why would potassium cause tingling and numbness? Could it cause Neuropathy?

...And even though I don't have kidney disease, I did have kidney stones (micro-ones) yet some actually prescribe potassium for kidney stones. Still, they say don't take it if you have a urinary track infection (I don't but figure that has to do with Kidneys, too)

In short, I'm considering NOT taking it at all, now that there seems to be some bad side effects that I was unaware of. Certainly some "contradictory' benefits and warnings about it.

Do you know anything about this?
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote