View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You know, Jesse, I think it is time your started your own threads.

I should have brought this up earlier...I am sorry I didn't.

In answer to this question:
That monograph is for RX doses...not OTC ones.
That site also gives drug information for other countries.
In this country Potassium chloride is the mostly commonly given
RX to improve low potassium in patients with documented low
levels, from testing, impacting their health.

Naturemade potassium gluconate:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-Made-Pot...-Tablets/40429

90mg elemental potassium-- the rest is the weight for the heavy
gluconate carrier.

Not all OTC manufacturers list elemental levels. The NatureMade product does not on its label.
If you purchase a potassium supplement in the US labeled as 'supplement' the law requires it to be 99mg or less potassium.
That monograph does not pertain to any OTC product in US.

In order to understand supplements you have to study the various fine points to labeling. I have an explanation of elemental vs total weight on my magnesium thread here. You need to read it again:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post20739-10.html

I think it is best if you don't experiment on yourself...without knowing what you are doing. I give safe guidelines here.... and for potassium it is GET IT FROM FOOD sources. Any other experimentation is going going to lead to some kind of accident, or worse IMO. That is why our FDA limits potassium supplement content per tablet to 99mg max.

Yeah - I think you're right. In retrospect, I don't feel I have a condition that actually warrants taking potassium supplements. My potassium levels are NOT very low, just sightly. I'll get the rest naturally by eating foods that contain it from time to time. No big thing. ...And I certainly don't want to experiment on myself. All the other vitamins I take are far safer and necessary.

As for starting my own thread - I don't understand. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. I'm not trolling or debating, am I?

I just feel that starting my own would just get ignored and I wouldn't get the help/response and answers that I honestly need from you all. This forum has indeed helped me quite a bit. But if I'm somehow disrupting this thread, I won't post here anymore. ...Sorry, I don't really know the rules here.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote