View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
There is a thread where I bring this new problem up...and a doctor came on with additional information:

t is long, but I think worth reading carefully.

Until about a year or so ago, the common thought was folate was good for everyone. Then young women started using high dose folate for preventing spina bifida in their babies. Then, some new data emerged that some of these high dose patients were showing up with colon cancer at a young age.

According to the doctor who comes on that Metanx thread, it is the "unactivated" folate that may be to blame. But still the research is not firm on that.

I stopped recommending high dose folate over a year ago, because the subject remains murky.

Folate has been pushed and even added to US foods, in the hopes of reducing heart disease/stroke which may be caused by elevated homocysteine levels.

I would keep your total folate consumption down to 800mcg a day, until this data clarifies.

Methylfolate is available now thru Solgar at 400 and 800mcg doses. It was off the market for a while, because Merck, who holds the patent for making it, wanted to control it and make more $$ off the RX versions. But it now has returned to OTC status. So if anyone is really concerned, using it instead of folic acid regular type, may be a better intervention. But there are no guarantees yet.
MrsD
I saw a foot Doctor last week. He gave me Metanx sampes for my SFN and said to take two a day to start. The label says one pill has 3000mg of folic acid, L-methylfolate. That translates to 6000 a day. Im reading that high doses of folate may not be safe, should I stop taking the metanx and buy the supplements P5P and B12 and take them seperate? Im really concerned now, last thing I want is for these pills to make my neuropathy worse.Thank you for all your help!
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote