View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Delaine, welcome to NeuroTalk, sorry to hear of your continuing challenges.

A couple of thoughts. First of all, as you will frequently hear on this forum, every brain injury is different and they all heal on their own schedule. In the “old days” it was thought that healing only occurs in the first few months (many doctors still believe this to be true). In fact it becoming more widely recognized that healing can continue for years, although often at a slower pace.

Regarding the medical community, neurologists typically look at “damage” differently than a clinical neuropsychologist would. A clinical neuropsychologist looks more at the brain-behavior relationship rather than physical damage per se. Since you are having problems with memory, focus/attention, and sounds like emotional processing, a neuropsychological assessment may be helpful. A NPA can help identify specific deficit areas and then develop specific therapies to address these areas. This would not be cheap but many insurance plans may cover this.

http://www.div40.org/pdf/NeuropscyhBroch2.pdf

You didn’t mention your domestic environment. Support is important. If you have a spouse/partner/significant other or family close by share what you are going through with them. Additionally, there may be support groups in your area. The Brain Injury Association of America has chapters in many states, and there may be a support group near you.

http://www.biausa.org/

Best to you on this recovery journey.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Delaine (11-30-2012), Theta Z (12-01-2012)