View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused new here 5 months since concussion

Hello everyone

This is my first post but I found the group a few months back. I have read some very useful posts and have enjoyed not feeling alone. I have not felt well enough to get my own words out until now.

About 5 months ago I was finishing up a 65KM holiday group ride with friends and my wheel hit the wheel of the bike in front of me. Down I went sideways and hit my head on the left side above my ear. Dented and cracked my helmet a little. I was totally fine though, aside from what I thought was a broken hand. I went to prompt care to have my hand looked at, it was just a bad sprain, and went home.

The next morning I woke up to my new world. Pressure in my head, confusion, noise and light sensitivity, crying, panic attacks, dizziness, nausea, and blurred vision. Went to the emergency and was told it was a concussion. CT was normal of course. Told to take a week off work but that it could be months to heal.

To try to shorten this up a bit, ater a month I saw a neurologist and told her I thought I was getting better (every day I seemed to say this for no reason? Denial?) so she said good and sent me home. For some reason my husband didn't say a word... like.... no she's not! I've been off work for 5 months and although I can honestly say there has been some improvement in 5 months I am nowhere near the person I was before. I was training for a marathon before the accident and now my eyes are so blurry I cannot walk without getting dizzy/disoriented. I ride a stationary bike now for 10 minutes a day. Big difference from my 65KM ride!

The biggest help I have gotten was from my eye doctor. After about two months of eye pain/blurred vision/light sensitivity I went to see him and he gave me eye drops that I use twice a day and they have made a world of difference. Especially with the sensitivity and pain. The blurriness appears to be more of a brain not reading what it's seeing problem and a tracking issue so I've been told to wait and time will heal this one. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I've been thinking I should see a neuro-opthomologist (sp?) to get this looked at more.

I am now seeing a neuropsycologist and I'm so thrilled I found her! She has recommended a vestibular physiotherapist that I will be seeing in the new year to work on the dizziness. I see an ENT in a couple weeks to make sure there's nothing else vestibular going on. I am meditating every day, a little excercise, eating as well as I can (I'm Vegan), taking my vitamins and getting lots of rest. I guess there's not much more I can do but wait! I've been told I still have a long way to go. Judging by how long it's taken me to get here I guess I have to agree.

I think the things that I'm still having the hardest time with symptom-wise is the sensitivities to noise and commotion. I sit in a quiet house all day and cannot handle social gatherings or even talking due to the noise. I've become housebound (not being able to drive doesn't help either). Will I even be able to participate in Christmas festivities with family or friends?

I think my biggest worry is that the "type A" me is gone and I will not be able to handle my fast paced, multi-tasking, "thinking" career ever again. The big joke about me was that I could hear a pin drop across the room at work and also that I could never turn my mind "off". Both those things have come back to haunt me now I think.

This is way to long. If you're still with me.. thanks for reading. I hope you are having a good day.
cyclecrash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussedlawyer (12-01-2012), Lightrail11 (11-30-2012), Theta Z (12-01-2012)