View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default seeking opinions related to alcohol use

I have small fiber neuropathy. At the time of diagnosis, there were potential red flags if you will related to three areas:

- blood sugar levels that frequently were in the pre-diabetic range

- history of excessive alcohol use

- moderate positive ana on more than one occasion

With regards to the alcohol, I have not had a drink in approximately 11 months, and over that time, based on a comparison of a skin biopsy this November compared to November 2011, my small fiber neuropathy has gotten worse. I should also point out that there have been a couple of other things that have transpired over this time such as the discovery of small pleural and pericardial effusions that point a little more in the direction of an autoimmune issue going on.

Getting to my question -- since I have not had a drink in 11 months and my sfn has gotten worse, do is it stand to reason that something other than alcohol is the primary culprit related to the small fiber neuropathy? Second, would you think it would be o.k. to engage in MODERATE (1-2 beers) weekend drinking given the above information? I would like to have a beer to two on the weekends, but I'm trying to make sense of all this before I make a decision to break this period of abstinence.

I surely would appreciate any thoughts/opinions anyone might have on this, understanding of course that there is no way you can know for sure.

Thanks so much.
davidl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote