View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Yes, you can take them separately.

I bet the Metanx does not say empty stomach either?
Unless that has changed recently.

You can get the methylcobalamin and take 5mg daily for 3 months on an empty stomach. It is very inexpensive. Swanson's, Puritan's Pride, Vitacost etc.

The P5P is OTC too, and Solgar makes one at 800mcg.
One of these a day is enough. Folate is not typically a player for PNers, unless they have that genetic mutation...MTHFR polymorphism. I agree with you that massive doses of this are not needed. You might want to watch your foods, and try to keep folic acid levels down, since some papers now suggest that folic acid in fortified foods may compete for methylfolate at the blood brain barrier. This will probably cost the most for you...iherb.com may help with that. There may be other brands now out there less expensive, but Solgar brought it out first OTC on the second round of availability after Merck company refused to sell it OTC! That was a huge scandal, but is now over.

P5P by NOW is a good brand, and is enteric coated as well. It is not expensive. There is a movement now by a drug company to take THIS off OTC status so it won't compete with a new P5P being developed RX...I hope this is till available therefore.

One of each of these a day should help you in a way similar to Metanx.
MrsD Thank you for your quick response,
Are you saying you agree I should stop the Metanx because of the high level of folate. You mention massive dosages are "not needed", if I keep taking the Metanx at this high dose could it be harmful or is it just being wasted?..Metanx goes on about how the high levels , Methylfolate being the highest dose 3mg per pill are what makes this medical food different and works best. You are correct no mention on how to take it, with or with out food.
I will shop for L-methylfolate 800mg as you suggested. (right now I have about 2 weeks samples of Metanx from Dr)
How much P5P is effective and safe? Should the bottle read only P5P (for the B6) or can it read P5P B6. Which is the better or correct way to buy B6 and at what dosage per day? Im a bit confused being I never bought them converted before. (Some companies have both B6 P5P and just P5P.)
massive doses of this are not needed. You might want to watch your foods, and try to keep folic acid levels down, since some papers now suggest that folic acid in fortified foods may compete for methylfolate at the blood brain barrier. This will probably cost the most for you... MrsD Im a bit confused with the above statement where you wrote about "cost", what will cost the most for me? Did you mean "cost" by it could affect my health, or more costly (expensive). sorry for my confusion and all my questions. Thank you again as always for your help!!!!
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-30-2012)