View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I think you are very lucky.

Most of the web sites I found on fluoroquinolone damage, report it as permanent.

It might be connected to individual genetics, and for some people therefore might resist the damage that is more severe for others.
There is some evidence that this genetic weakness is a factor for statin damage too.(i.e. more likely serious in some and not others).

You are however not out of the woods in regards to your tendons.
Ruptures can occur any time after a course of fluoroquinolones, so be moderate in your lifting or stretching. We've had two male posters here pop their bicep tendons after these drugs.
All too true - this is why I had to limit my weight lifting as well. Most websites about PN do NOT have many success stories -the ones that tell of their healing -I've seen only a few of these in a vast amount of research.

But I understand why. It's an instinct once our bodies heal from PN to never look back -and that includes posting anywhere that reminds you of such a horrible experience. I read this sentiment on other sites, too...and I even had the same feelings when I had my first healing strides. It's odd, but understandable.

When I first got PN it was a nearly constant horrible pain and I was extremely suicidal -this coming from a man that has a strong threshold for pain and a strong-minded person, too. I thank God, that I started feeling a bit better in the next weeks.

My point here is that like most doctors say, PN from drugs, for most people, does heal -it's only in the so-called extreme cases that it appears permanent.

The problem with me and most others suffering from Cipro nerve damage is the pain of PN, especially in the hands and feet.

This starts a huge panic when you find out that Cipro can cause "permanent" damage. Still, nearly ALL neurology departments that have experts on drug induced PN (They term it as "Secondary to drugs") say that it's only permanent in "Extreme" cases - and that it begins to subside and your body starts to heal within weeks and months.

I have experienced this first hand. The question is, what is considered "Extreme" and how do you define it?

It seems that some people will have an easier time to heal than others and this has much to do about what their bodies are like genetically, as well as how soon and what methods they use to treat themselves.

I still have PN unfortunately, but it is definitely fading away. Will I ever rid myself of it completely - I do not know. But I do know that I can live with it if I reach a certain point where the pain isn't very frequent or very strong.

In that sense, I have already reached that point to a certain degree and that's a very positive sign.

What is now important is to keep my health in better prospective to avoid flare-ups and relapses. This includes a much healthier diet, continuing carefully selected vitamins, and also learning to live a better life mentally - with less stress.

It's also keen to never take those medications again - or anything like them.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-27-2013)