View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newly diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy

Hi guys. I was told to find a neuropathy forum from a friend*** where I hang out a lot since I have diabetes. I was recently diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my legs. I don't know about my arms since we were testing my lower back and legs due to my bad curvature in my lumbar spine. My spine is fine, the MRI confirms it. Well - fine as in not damaged due to the severe curve.

I have burning in my thighs and knees but seem to have full feeling in my extremeties. No numbness yet. The doctor who did my EMG told me I have slow nerves in my legs. That's all I know and when I googled slow nerves the only thing that popped up was about neuropathy. So here I am.

I hope to get to know all of you soon. I've been reading through some threads here and know I am in the right place. My blood sugar is generally good between about 85 and 160 though usually 140 or lower. I've only had pre-diabetes since about september 2010. Though since I"m on Victoza now my blood sugar is usually 95 in teh morning versus 110 or higher. I'm pleased with that.

I am severely obese, 373 pounds on a 5'2" frame (female). I thought the victoza was supposed to help me lose weight. Well - it didn't. But at least my blood sugar is much better! That was the main reason for going on it.

I take many pills. I'm on neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety (off-label use prescribed by my psychiatrist) but now that my GP raised the dose of it for my leg pain I'm doing much better. I take 1 in the morning and 2 in the evening. My pain usually hits me in the evenings and nighttime so it works out better that way. I did have to take another one this morning since I developed the leg pain since I hadn't been to sleep yet. I tend to have more pain when I'm awake longer than usual. Not sure why.

I'm thinking of starting on ALA but will ask my doctor first since it can interfere with thyroid medication (which I'm on for a slow thyroid).

Anyway, I was just introducing myself.

Brittany

Last edited by mrsD; 11-30-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: removing link according to NT guidelines for new posters
xdunlapx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote