View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks Bryanna

Thank you for your reply. I could see the 'hole' the surgeon was referring to, which was a dark shape in the middle of the unerupted wisdom tooth. The tooth looked a normal size, but underneath the gum. I just didn't understand how that could have happened. Could the 'hole' always have been there? And only now causing me problems (I'm 55) or could it have developed recently...?

I know I have to go ahead with the extraction (not looking forward to that - the tooth is upper jaw and I have a small mouth!!!)

I've opted for just a local anaesthetic, not IV, perhaps I'm being stupid rather than brave! Don't have a date yet, but can I keep in touch while I wait anxiously for the appointment?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Lynney,

I will answer your question capital letters...

<<My question is - have you ever heard of an unerupted wisdom tooth having a hole/infection in it - how does that happen if it hasn't come through?!!!>>

YES. IRRELEVANT OF WHETHER THE WISDOM TOOTH COMES THROUGH THE BONE AND GUM OR NOT DOES NOT ALTER THE FACT THAT WISDOM TEETH DO NOT ALWAYS FORM COMPLETELY. THE DEFORMITY COULD BE WHAT THEY ARE REFERRING TO AS THE HOLE IN THE TOOTH. OR... BACTERIA HAS ACCUMULATED IN BETWEEN THE WISDOM TOOTH AND SECOND MOLAR AND ACTUALLY CAUSED TOOTH DECAY IN THE WISDOM TOOTH. THIS WOULD CAUSE AN INFECTION TO START BREWING AND IT IS IMPERATIVE TO HAVE THE TOOTH REMOVED.

ALSO, IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO HAVE REFERRED PAIN FROM THIS SORT OF SITUATION. HOPEFULLY THE PROBLEM IS ISOLATED TO JUST THE WISDOM TOOTH. WHEN THEY REMOVE IT, THEY WILL HAVE A BETTER LOOK AT THE SECOND MOLAR.

Hope this answer helps.

Bryanna
Lynney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote