Thread: Neuropathy!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Member!!!!!

New PN member. I had a nerve test done on my feet and was told that i have PN!! It is a terrible disease and so far have not had too much relief except for taking 600mg. neurontin (gabapentin) 3 to 4 times a day. But i am concerned with the problems associated with neurontin???? I am trying to stay with 1800mg. a day with 20mg oxycontin twice a day to help with the pain!!! I have taken as much as 4 neurontins a day but still had pain starting at night. I was told to take 2 at night and another during the day but the tired sideeffect of the drug is hard to take! When the pain comes on i need at least 40mg. of oxy to take away the pain. I have been on neurontin for the last 2 months with the original doseage of 2 600mg. at bedtime? Then i was told to go to another pill in the morning. This worked with no pain until after 6pm, then the pain slowly started to come on, pain at times mimicking gout symptoms??? I originally for a few years thought that i had gout, because of the pain in my right and left toe joints. The pain was sometimes only one foot and sometimes both feet? Then i started getting pain and numbness in my small toes, which caused me to seek a foot Dr. where i had the nerve test. Even now i still get the same pains in the large toe joints and sometimes in the small toes??? But when the pain is in the large toe ball joint then it is unbearable at times where only the oxy works, it throbs with pain. These problems are usually when i am either sitting or laying down, when i walk the pain subsides or gets weaker, probably because my mind is away from the pain as when i am sitting or being still. The neurontin seems to work at higher doses but i am concerned about the side effects as the clumsiness and emotional issues it sometimes creates? I read that it can cause suisidal thoughts?? I suppose any drug that effects the nerves will cause problems. The max amount of oxy that i have taken over a day is 20mg. three times during the day, this is at the worse case when i had pain in both toes and intense throbbing. This usually happens when the barametric pressure drops well below 30???? I have been monitoring the corelation with barametric pressure and pain. There is definitely something between the two.Well i am so thankful to find this support group.
Leafs51 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote