View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
This entire article should be read by anybody playing hockey, football, rugby, or soccer. The pressure to continue playing can be very dangerous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/sp...medium=Twitter

An important paragraph says:

"That study found concussion rates seven times higher than previously reported. In the study to be published Friday, the male players sustained concussions at three times the rate reported in most previous studies, and the female players at five times the rate reported in most studies. The women also sustained concussions almost twice as frequently as the men, despite rules in women’s hockey designed to curb body checking. The brain scans taken after the season also showed substantive metabolic changes among the majority of players, including those who were not diagnosed with concussions. Researchers said the changes in the brains might be evidence of trauma caused by subconcussive blows. "
Thanks for that link, Mark. I have a HUGE amount of anxiety about my little girl's love of hockey. She is nine and I see it getting rougher. It is hard to know what to do. Make her stop something she loves and excels at or let her play and risk getting hurt. Knowing how bad it can be makes it worse. tough to deal with. Tough to know what to do.
What would a good parent do!???
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote