View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Info on Kyphoplasty for Compression #T8

Hello
My MRI has shown I have a compression fracture of T8 with a Haemangioma complication on the vertebrae. My fracture was due to a fall in Sep this year but has only showed up now. My spec said to re- x-ray in two wks and to have conservative treatment for 4-6wks. I was in agony at that time. He said he was very reluctant to go in with surgery as it was so risky! I was re-x-rayed on fri just gone after two wks and was feeling so much better pain wise. But he told me my vertebrae had collapsed further it was now 50%. He started to talk to me about having a Kyphoplasty. And from what I understand its a procedure where-by they go into either side of the vertebrae using x-ray guidance blowing up a balloon on the inside of either side of the vertebrae to lift the vertebrae and then inject a 'cement' into the space. The temperature of the cement is about 50d and this dissolves the haemangioma in the vertebrae. I understand the risk although rare to be leakage of the cement or the needle moving off course both leading to paralysis. Has anyone had/or knows of this problem & procedure. I would be grateful for any info.
Thank you
Hollee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote