View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I have small fiber neuropathy. At the time of diagnosis, there were potential red flags if you will related to three areas:

- blood sugar levels that frequently were in the pre-diabetic range

- history of excessive alcohol use

- moderate positive ana on more than one occasion

With regards to the alcohol, I have not had a drink in approximately 11 months, and over that time, based on a comparison of a skin biopsy this November compared to November 2011, my small fiber neuropathy has gotten worse. I should also point out that there have been a couple of other things that have transpired over this time such as the discovery of small pleural and pericardial effusions that point a little more in the direction of an autoimmune issue going on.

Getting to my question -- since I have not had a drink in 11 months and my sfn has gotten worse, do is it stand to reason that something other than alcohol is the primary culprit related to the small fiber neuropathy? Second, would you think it would be o.k. to engage in MODERATE (1-2 beers) weekend drinking given the above information? I would like to have a beer to two on the weekends, but I'm trying to make sense of all this before I make a decision to break this period of abstinence.

I surely would appreciate any thoughts/opinions anyone might have on this, understanding of course that there is no way you can know for sure.

Thanks so much.
I had a history of alcohol abuse, I haven't had a drink in about the same length of time as you, and I certainly haven't noticed my PN get any better. I haven't had a biopsy or anything clinical to check and see if it's gotten worse, but if it has, I haven't noticed it. Pretty much the same. They also said it may have been a deficiency in B1, B6, B12, etc. and I've been taking plenty of 1 and 12, with about 100% daily dose of B6 on most days. Nothing. The old bromide of 'taking the toxin away' from your body to help the neuropathy get better just doesn't hold for my situation.

I have little doubt my PN was caused by alcohol, I was a trainwreck and something finally happened to me, and it was this. Seems like it did its damage, I quit, and the damage is permanent, although it will probably never get better or worse - it's been contained to just my feet since it started about 4 years ago, although I didn't get diagnosed until this year. Good luck, like Mrs. D says, a drink every once in awhile probably won't make any difference. If you're dying for a beer - don't kill yourself just because of the PN. IMO only.
Brue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote